Sunday, May 10, 2015

Update: The Situation With My Hand

Hello,

As many of you are aware by now, I suffered a dog bite back in April and was rushed to the hospital after it became infected. The bite was on my right hand, between my thumb and middle finger, and the wound was deep enough to introduce bacteria into the deeper tissues of my hand. After an emergency surgery to fix a torn tendon, I was asked to stay the night to recover. Thank God I did, because later that evening my hand swelled up and was very painful. At first the doctor thought it might have been just surgical pain, and he prescribed me some stronger painkillers. When I started getting sicker and I noticed red streaks from the wound, I called the nurse in for help since I suspected an infection.

Thank God I did, because as it turns out I had contracted some sort of flesh-eating infection from the bite. Apparently the doctors had thought they'd gotten it all cleaned out before, but either it was some strain of bacterium that's resistant to the antibiotics they were using, or they didn't clean it out as well as they thought they did. The doctor told me he'd have to take me into surgery to get rid of the infection, and that there was a possibility I might lose fingers or even the whole hand. Fortunately, the surgery went alright and I kept all my fingers intact, though they did have to do a skin graft to fix the area of removed tissue from the surgery. Things after that were a little touch and go, and they kept me in the hospital a little longer than I would have liked so I didn't have a relapse. Thankfully things have gone alright, the antibiotics have done their job, and the tendons in my hand are healing just fine. On a more positive note, I even have a neat little battle scar from the skin graft to prove I fought the microbial menace and won.

I am currently at home now, and feeling much, much better, however I won't be back to work, or updating this blog much, for a few more days until my hand has healed fully. Thank you, everyone, for the prayers and kind thoughts during this difficult time in my life. God bless each and every one of you.

- R. S. Pinne

No comments:

Post a Comment